Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Weekend snowboarding adventure, part deux.

Last week was interesting. First off, I spent a lot of money. Oh yeah! The one major purchase I made was the Burton Air 2005 board I got at this huge sporting goods store called Dick’s (formerly Galyan’s). I am so satisfied with this board! It is so much lighter, shorter, and maneuverable than that Lamar Cruiser I got a couple of months back, which is great because I got to enjoy Monarch (Saturday) and Keystone (Sunday) a lot more than I would have if I stuck with the Lamar. By the way, the day after I visited Vail a while back, we went to the Breckenridge resort where Mike proceeded to teach me how to link turns. That day sucked, which is why I didn’t bother mentioning it in my last post. But this past Saturday was much, much better!! Monarch is such a great resort…so small, so few people. I really got a chance to familiarize myself with my board and how to properly make linked turns. I thought that was quite an accomplishment. Plus, it was snowing there and the powder was quite delicious.

The next day (Sunday) we went to Keystone, which was good. Of course, it would have been much better if I wasn’t so tired from the day before! For me, snowboarding takes a lot of work. Leg muscle coordination has to be spot-on for me to maneuver without falling on my ass. Shin muscles, calves, and quads are the most hard-hit I think. All of those muscles were pretty fatigued from the previous awesome day at Monarch. Plus, the lack of sleep didn’t help. We went to bed on Saturday at around midnight and woke up around 530-6am the next day. Anyway, the thing that pretty much ended the fun was when I was going toe-side down a freakin’ catwalk and caught my back edge and fell on my head. I felt two vertebrae in my neck crack and could taste the pain in the mouth. That pretty much destroyed my confidence. Unfortunately, that happened at the top of the mountain and the run is three miles long. I took a ridiculous amount of time to get off that mountain. It’s all good though, because a friend told me once that if you’re not eating sh*t, you’re not trying.

1 Comments:

At 3:03 PM, Blogger Mike said...

TASTE THE PAIN BABY!!!
Actually, what you taste is spinal cerebral fluid that's leaking out of your subdural layer of your brain. It leaks out from fractures in your maxilla and comes down your Eustachian tubes into the back of your throat. Pain is salty. But this is good, this is a result of your swelling brain relieving pressure from micro aneurysms in cerebral arteries.

Welcome to Colorado, I hope you have good health insurance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home