Saturday, February 12, 2005

by your powers combined....

....I am Captain B!

Sorry. Very geeky obtuse reference to a horrible 90's environmentally-minded cartoon. Yes, the Air Force has deemed me fit to be promoted to the rank of Captain. Yay. For those of you not in the know, getting promoted to Captain is pretty much like getting the urge to take a dump: it'll happen eventually provided that you (a) don't do something incredibly stupid or (b) don't have a very crappy squadron commander or (c) don't do something incredibly stupid under the command of a very crappy squadron commander.

I must say, though, it feels a little different. The salutes I recieve are somewhat sharper. During meetings, people actually give me a chance to talk and respect what I have to say.

I get called "cap."

All this is well and good, but just like Uncle Ben said to young Peter Parker, "great power comes with great responsibility." I thought that was all just meaningless movie drivel, but being a Captain actually means that I have to actually know what I'm doing now. Well, at least give off a better appearance of knowing what I'm doing. Some of the officers that have been in longer than myself practice this technique to great effect! So I guess that putting up a pretentious act of knowing it all is just an element of my professional development. Oh well. The pay is pretty decent. I'm finally making what a civilian civil engineer would make. Yay for that!

2 Comments:

At 6:14 AM, Blogger Mike said...

hmmpphh...you should try coming to a Joint Command Center for a ongoing war...there's no Lts...a few Captains, a bunch of majors, a whole lotta LTC's, and more full birds than all the enlisted combined...I'm still a SLJO as a O-3
Yippee

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger anthony fuego said...

Indeed, my friend. Keep fighting the good fight, then.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home