Sunday, April 03, 2005

Weekend snowboarding adventure, parte tres.

Well, it looks like I just enjoyed my final weekend of snowboarding here in Colorado. For those not in the know, I am only here for temporary duty. This past week was my third complete week here in the 'Springs and the task we came to accomplish is slowly coming to completion. I am sad. Why? Because I'll really miss the people I've just met or reconnected with, the views, and--of course--the snowboarding. Could it be, though, that I'm thinking this way because I simply think that "the grass is greener on the other side"? I mean, I've already posted about my hatred for my all-too-permanent job in California and the idiot boss that's in charge of the whole organization. So, perhaps my positive perception of working here in Colorado Springs is somewhat tainted by my negative impression of my job in Cali. Well I say this...when the grass is brown and dead on your side of the fence, anything resembling living plant life on the other side looks better.

Anyway, onto snowboarding. We hit up Keystone on both Saturday and Sunday. Saturday was more of a confidence-building day. After that vertebrae-snapping crash last week, I was kinda low on the confidence. Even after I spent an additonal $20 on protective gear(!!), I really wasn't feeling it. Fortunately, I snapped out of it and began linking turns again, in addition to perfecting technique and speed. When I observe other riders, it looks like that their legs are fairly straight when moving down the slope. However, some instructors preach a bent-leg stance, which I favor. I find that I have more control when I do this. Unfortunately, this has the effect of really giving my quads a lot of work! So the next morning when we went to Keystone again (which was today) I was really pre-fatigued and hurting. However, I was able to pull off a Blue run, which was pretty cool. This post probably doesn't reflect it too much, but this weekend was really good to me for snowboarding.

Afterwards we made a side-trip to a place with a beautiful panoramic view of a mountainside covered in evergreens and snow. Framing the mountainside from above was a beautiful blue sky with puffy white clouds. And at the base of the forested mountainside...a big-ass frozen lake! Twas beautiful. I hope that Coloradoans living in the mountain areas appreciate what they've got. Living close to beaches has nothing on this place. Kim, the attractive young lady working at the front desk of the hotel that I'm currently residing at put it this way: The ocean looks flat and desolate on the horizon, but the mountains are majestic and beautiful. I agree, Kim. I agree.

And that concludes my three-part Colorado weekend snowboarding adventures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home