Thursday, May 03, 2007

Junky.


The County, in it’s wisdom, assigned the Public Works Department the task of cleaning someone’s yard. Yes, you read that correctly. This guy’s yard was declared a public nuisance and was ordered by the County to clean up. But see, this thing has dragged on for close to 14 years and only now is being resolved. And guess who is the trailblazing young engineer to solve a quandary that has befuddled older and smarter individuals since the Clinton Administration? If this happened somewhere junky, like say…Reno, Nevada, this wouldn’t even be a blip. Only in wine country.

Being the project engineer for this is not something I take real pride in, though. First of all, the property owner is an old man that everyone has taken advantage of by dumping their junk on his property without his consent. He’s also pretty cantankerous and crazy. And pissed that a government organization is taking away his property—even though most of it is pretty much useless. Second of all, I’m a civil engineer (in training)! This isn’t something that enhances or utilizes my knowledge of my chosen field. This is something the Air Force would make a 2nd Lieutenant do. Speaking of the military, if this happened on base we would issue an article 15 and get the person PCS’d somewhere, clean up the area, and not drag the process out for years.

But hey, orders are orders.
And to be honest, I agree with the County on this one. Who wants to see semis and trailers in the middle of vineyard and ranchland. Nasty.



1 Comments:

At 4:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey funny thing...i happened upon your blog via Mike and Katie's Blogs. I met them in Kabul and then lived in Colorado but now I live in Wine Country also! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home