Sunday, February 20, 2005

Life, Love and Mortality Part 1: Love

Today I find myself in a very anxious mood. I’m in beautiful San Diego right now hanging out with the fam. I always love coming to San Diego, but unfortunately the reason I made the four-hour trip this time was because my mom suffered from a mild stroke on Friday night and had to go to the emergency room. She stayed in the hospital for a couple of nights.

To make a long story short, she’s alright; no permanent damage done—just a really scary footnote in the Morales family history, there. One of the interesting side effects of this event was coming to realize how integrated both of my parents have become in their love for each other and in their daily lives. It’s kinda like that “When 2 Become 1” song the Spice Girls sang all those years ago, except without the sexual connotations and more about the relationship type stuff.

When I arrived in Diego Saturday morning, Dad was a wreck—probably due in large part to the zero amounts of rest he got the previous night. He was very distracted and seemed out of touch and absent-minded when he went about playing the host (as is typical when I visit my parents). All of this is quite expected given that his wife was lying in bed in the hospital. But it was kind of nice to see, in a twisted way. You see, Dad isn’t the one to overtly display his love for my mom. Well, maybe in shallow ways such as hooking my mom up with fabulous bling or playfully joking with her. But it’s very rare to catch them sharing a tender moment. But Dad’s depth of worry that morning was enough to prove to me that his love for Mom is as strong as it has ever been for the past four decades of marriage. That’s awesome. We should all be so lucky.

2 Comments:

At 10:32 AM, Blogger Mike said...

I'm really glad your mom is ok Tony. You and your family will totally be in my thoughts.

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger anthony fuego said...

Thanks, man.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home