Decisions
'Sup, kids. Sorry I haven't blogged in awhile; been kinda busy.I'm going through a life dilemma right now. I have some choices I need to make, but I can't figure out what to do. Here's the thing: I've got a number of different job offers going for me, but the following three are my top choices.
Offutt Air Force Base, Omaha:
This is the place where I used to work when I first entered the Air Force. Pros: I love the people I worked with there and I know that I could do good work for them. Also, my years in the military would count toward a Federal retirement, so if I start out at Offutt, I would already have four years of retirement under my belt. Cost of living out there is really cheap, and I could afford a super-nice home; I love living comfortably and a bit luxuriously...like a metrosexual! Plus, the only traffic I'd deal with is at the gate of the base. Cons: There's not a whole lot to do out there. Go to dance clubs and stuff. Go hiking through the woods. Go to museums. Go to cultural events. It may get old kinda fast. Much of the awesome stuff is centered around Omaha and Council Bluffs. Plus, I've taken up some hobbies that are very California-based, such as snowboarding, salsa dancing, and skateboarding. If I move to NE, snowboarding is out, salsa dancing is not as good as it is here, and I can skateboard anywhere, really. I love riding and salsa dancing so much!!!! I want to get really good at both, but I can't see that happening in Omaha.
The City of Folsom:
This was my first choice! Pros: The Sierra Nevada and all the ski resorts and just 1.5 to 2 hours away. Salsa dancing in Sacramento just 20 minutes away. Conventional bootie-poppin' dance clubs 20 minutes away. Strip clubs only five to 10 minutes away. Bike trails meandering all around...good for practicing some skate tricks but mostly for cruising on my longboard. I've got friends and family from Davis all the way down to the San Francisco Bay Area, where there are even more salsa and bootie-poppin' clubs. Beautiful Folsom Lake parks. Shopping all around. Multiculturalism. It's beautiful. Cons: Homes are f*cking expensive!!!! I'll be lucky to find a decent condo and sh*t. Honestly, much of my income will be spent on mortgage. I don't like roomates. I don't want to marry anybody. If I have to move out there, I'll be living like a hermit for awhile. Which might be good since I really want to get my professional engineer license. Obtaining it may take Jedi-like discipline and abstinence from extracurricular activities.
The County of Napa:
Ah, the home county. Nothing stirs up the bitter childhood memories more than the vineyards that are popping up all over damn place. Pros: Napa isn't that much further from the Sierras. Plus, I could live at home and save up some money for a down payment, or perhaps even live it up and buy a bunch of frivolous toys, like a new truck! Money is the bottom line here, folks. Well, that and I'm closer to family and the Bay Area. Cons: Living at home. Ugh. No place to put all the new stuff that I've collected over the years. Dealing with draconian parental rules meant to instill discipline and character...which clearly failed. Is all the nonsense worth it?
Compromise sucks. But given that you know what's important to me, what do you think I should do? Even non subscribers can post comments this time.

3 Comments:
Tony, Tony, Tony,
You know where I stand buddy. Come back to Nebraska!
Joe
dude...the poor will always be around us...you will always want more money. You need to accept this fact and realize that money will never make you happy. Instead focus on what will make you happy. Stay in Cali...stay where you would be happiest...would it be in your parents house or in your own house with no money broke as a joke. Choose the poor hermit snowboarder bum life. Its happy.
I am not sure what you should do. I can't say I have the answers. It is about faith.
Anthony, I am not so sure you will like it in Nebraska. If life is about taking risks and living it to the fullest, I question whether it will lead you to "the fullest" of lives.
I think that NE would be your safe decision. The Air Force has trained people to do the safe thing. I am not sure if safe is the best, but it is a decision in life that can lead one to live for mediocrity or we can use that "safety" as a platform from which to launch ourselves towards the adventure of a life time.
It is up to you. Go to NE and spend a large part of your time trying to get, have, and/or create what is not there (which can be fun and hard). Or go someplace, where you can be passionate and dare by simply being there.
I didn't read the whole blog, just the part about Nebraska, so I can't say I am fully apprised of your other options.
I also believe happiness is an internal thing. Mike's response seems fun and a bit self indulging, if life isn’t about giving, sharing and loving, then I think it’s of no use to anyone but yourself (Your epitaph will read something like: “You will miss you when you’re gone”).
Only a fool takes advice from a fool. Be mindful of that.
Perhaps I am a fool, perhaps Mike, perhaps we all are. You decide. We support you, whatever you do.
-Anonymous
<><
Post a Comment
<< Home