Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Visit to Omaha

I visited Omaha from the 11th to the 15th of August. Let me tell you that it was the best. I arrived on Thursday afternoon and ate dinner at the Old Market at the Upstream (an old haunt) with my good buddies Therese and Joe. Then I went to and underground (literally) hip-hop concert in the basement of Sokol Auditorium where the Heiruspecs were headlining. Awesome act...and I was really impressed by the local acts that came up and performed, too. Saturday and Sunday were spent hanging out at various locales...I hit up the Joslyn Museum and attended Mass at St. Cecilia's cathedral, both of which are very inspiring places to visit. I did other things, too, but the overall experience of being back there really was the highlight of my trip; the specific things I did were just...ancillary--a bonus to an already good deal (of visiting Nebraska).

You see, my first base was Offutt AFB in Bellevue, Nebraska. If you think that Nebraska is devoid of anything fun, then you are decieved. There is plenty of fun to be had if you have the willingness to explore and the maturity to appreciate all the different things the city of Omaha and the state have to offer. For me, the Omaha has a rich history (it's a frontier town!) that developed into one of the major telecommunications hubs in the country. There's some awesome architecture that I, as a Californian, feel privileged to see since most of our old brick structures were retrofitted to meet seismic code. I love brick as a construction medium. It's classy. There's also a great support for the arts there. Plus, it just feels like comfy. I'm more at ease there than I ever was here in CA growing up.

If things don't work out with this new job, I may seriously consider relocating back there...

3 Comments:

At 9:54 PM, Blogger Mike said...

naw dude...the hot cali sun must have baked your brain...Nebraska sucks as much as their famed revered cornhuskers.
when was the last time the cornhuskers won the national championship? not in a long long time...so the huskers...and nebraska sucks...and yet the people there still think they don't. what a bunch of suckers

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger anthony fuego said...

Ah, leave it to Mike to hate on Nebraska. But I can at least level with your pain b/c I have a similar hatred for one Vandenberg Air Force Base, which I have since left quite recently.

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger The Spicy Chickadee said...

Hey, when are you going to post again? I keep checking faithfully... How's it to be out?? Mike is dying to be free. And personally, I can't wait for it to end just cuz he hates it so much.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home