Good stuff.
I am really, truly enjoying my job right now. I’m accomplishing work with results that have an impact that I will readily see in the immediate or the near future. For example, I’ve helped set up an architectural layout for a wellness facility here in town, I get to do land surveys in the beautiful vineyards of Napa Valley, and I’m working on road projects that will be constructed within the next year or two that will improve the utility of roads by drivers and pedestrians alike. It’s a small start, I know, but knowing that my work will actually help people—rather than assist in perpetuating programs borne of political machinations that serve no other purpose than to simply exist—is satisfying. You know, it’s funny. Before I took this job here at Napa, I already was accepted for a job in Folsom, CA. Working in Folsom may have been a good thing; I’ll never know. But as Bill Clinton said in his autobiography (and I paraphrase), we are not only defined by the opportunities that we take in life, but also by the opportunities that we miss. Working here has definitely been a defining experience. My coworkers are professionals, and their professionalism has re-awakened in me the motivation to improve my skills as a civil engineer and as a public servant. When I wake up every morning excited to go to work, I thank God that I was given this opportunity. Not since Nebraska have I felt this level of contentment and fulfillment.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home